Saturday 31 January 2015

Black bird and a pear

Black bird female
I had an interesting observation lately. We usually have a few black birds around in the garden, squabbling for the territory, nibbling on the bird food, well, the usual. I leave some fruits laying about for them in the winter (the ones that kids do not finish usually end up there, and some other leftovers), although I also have seen them pick on the seeds at the feeder, same for the fat balls.

So, a few days back I left for them birds 2 whole winter pears on the ground. Yesterday I checked it and one pear was properly picked and the other one had not even a single bit of damage. Today the first one is gone and it seems only then they started picking on the second one. Smart birdies! It seams they are capable of realizing that a whole untouched fruit is going to stay longer on the ground than the damaged one, so the latter has to be eaten first.

No comments:

Post a Comment